Although the currently incarcerated are not eligible for federal financial aid, people with felony records – on or off parole – are.

Below are links to federal and state sources of financial aid:

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Cal Grant.
  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver. State law requires that students attending California Community Colleges pay an enrollment fee. The California Community Colleges Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) permits these enrollment fees to be waived for all eligible California residents. Educational opportunity and a better future should not be denied due to income or lack of resources. The BOGW is designed to cover your enrollment fees, health fees and 50% of parking permit.
  • Chafee Grant. The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to current or former foster youth aged 21 or less to use for career and technical training or college courses. You don’t have to pay this money back as long as you are in school and you can use it for things like child care, transportation and rent. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to availability of federal funds each year.